Choose The Right Path  

Protecting The Extended Family Bond

The relationship between a grandparent and grandchild can often be very strong and important. If the child’s parents end their marriage in divorce, this can have disastrous effects on the time that a grandmother or grandfather gets to spend with that child.

Since 1999, the Law Offices of Maribeth Blessing, LLC, has been assisting individuals with their family law concerns. We have the skills to preserve and protect your family.

Can Grandparents Get Custody In Pennsylvania?

Third party custody rights are always harder to establish than the custody rights of a biological parent. The law favors keeping children with their parents in order to protect their best interests. However, the legal standard to be followed is “the best interests of the children.” In some cases, that means providing custody to grandparents.

However, to pursue custody, grandparents and other third party’s must have “standing.” In Pennsylvania, grandparents and other nonparents can bring a claim if:

  • They used to act as the child’s parent.
  • The child lived with them for 12 months or more.
  • The child is at risk in his or her current home.
  • The grandparent has a strong relationship with the child and is willing to continue that relationship, as long as the above requirements are met.

Custody rights can only be pursued by grandparents if their child is deceased, the parents of the child were never married or if the parents have separated. Unfortunately, a grandparent may not pursue custody rights against a married couple.

Time is of the essence in these cases. If you are a grandparent with whom a child resides for twelve months, you have only six months from the date the child has left in which to file your claim. It is very important to consult with an experienced lawyer regarding your rights. At the Law Offices of Maribeth Blessing, LLC, we know how to protect your interests and the best interests of your grandchildren.

Our attorneys have more than two decades of experience fighting to preserve our clients’ rights and the best interests of children. We will discuss your needs with you and design a unique plan that matches your goals. You can rely on us to provide you with dedicated and effective advocacy.

Contact Us For More Information

If you have questions regarding your rights as a grandparent, we can help. Contact our law firm in Rockledge, Pennsylvania, to speak with one of our attorneys. Call 215-392-0849 or 866-603-8691 for a free 10-minute consultation. We also offer a two-hour consultation for a very reasonable fee.